Since December 1st 2014 the City of Cologne raises a new so called “Kulturförderabgabe” (“culture tax”). We have to add 5% to the price for lodging as this tax. Those who travel for work or business reasons do not need to pay this tax, if they hand out all the necessary documents at check-in. Please understand that we have to collect the tax anyway if the documents are not complete or have faults. These are the requirements:
For employed persons:
- The form „Official form to § 7 Section 2 of the statute on charging a tax for the promotion and advancement of culture in the City of Cologne in the respective applicable version” (with all fields filled correctly and sighed).
- Confirmation of the employer or other prove
- The necessary confirmation of the employer can be done on a dedicated field on the official form.
- If the confirmation of the employer is done separately, make sure it is in German language on business letter paper or with a business stamp. The employer has to certify doubtless that the accommodation of his employee was necessary for work-related mandatory reasons. The exact period of the stay must be named! (Link: phrasing assistance)
- “Other documents, which prove that the accommodation is or was necessary for
work-related mandatory reasons.” Please be aware that the work-related mandatory reason can be checked by the city administration with your employer.
For self-employed persons:
- The form „Official form to § 7 Section 2 of the statute on charging a tax for the promotion and advancement of culture in the City of Cologne in the respective applicable version” (with all fields filled correctly and sighed). You must ether put your value added tax identification number or your fiscal authority for income tax on this form.
Download-links for the forms and information by the City of Cologne about this tax:
This is the address for complaints about this procedure related to the City of Cologene:
Amt für Anregungen und Beschwerden